PHYSICAL DUTY CLASSIFICATION: Heavy
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Driller
REVIEWING SUPERVISOR: Rig Manager
POSITION PURPOSE: Assist the Driller in drilling operations, managing tubulars in the mast and on racks and managing the mud system and equipment.
Successful completion of pre-hire physical assessment and drug screen.
Have the ability to work at heights up to 175’.
- Understand the requirements of the Company Management System (to include policies, procedures, and expectations) and perform duties in accordance with them.
- Propose recommendations for improvements to the Company Management System or practices.
- Understand that everyone has the responsibility, authority, and obligation to interrupt an operation if a condition or behavior is observed which could cause harm to people, assets or the environment and act on this understanding as required. (Stop work authority)
- Identify hazards in the workplace and implement sufficient controls to prevent incidents.
- Participate in pre-tour meetings and participate in and/or lead pre-task meetings.
- Work under the direction of the Driller and/or Rig Manager.
- Work on the monkey board during tripping operations as directed by the Driller.
- Monitor, maintain and report the properties of the drilling fluid.
- Monitor and report the drilling fluid additive inventory.
- Monitor, inspect, maintain, repair and report condition and functionality of the mud pumping, storing, processing and transferring equipment on the drilling location. (Including maintaining inventory of spare parts)
- Monitor, inspect, maintain, repair and report condition and functionality of the mast, monkey board and associated equipment.
- Assist with routine maintenance on rig equipment as per Company Maintenance System.
- Maintain good housekeeping on the drilling location to include rig components, offices and accommodations.
- Report incidents, equipment failures, system failures and abnormalities as per Company procedures.
- Train and mentor Motormen and Floormen who are interested in a Derrickman position.
Complete all Company required training as per the People Development process.
Mathematical skills sufficient to manage mud system and pipe tally.